Swab Barcelona 2022 opens today! We open the doors to gallerists, artists, curators and collectors from more than 25 different countries, in a day dedicated to the professional public that functions as a meeting point for the cultural sector globally.
From tomorrow, Friday October 7, Swab opens to the general public and encourages the city of Barcelona to enjoy one more year of the latest trends in the art world.
We look forward to seeing you at Swab! Save the date!
10 SWAB BARCELONA HIGHLIGHTS
1. Majority of female artists. As every year, Swab has an inclusive and diverse program. This 2022, the artistic proposals have a strong presence of women artists from around the world, with special representation from countries such as Argentina, China, Spain, France, Italy, Iran, Mexico and Portugal.
2. International scope. In its mission to be a fair with an international perspective, Swab 2022 is pleased to present galleries from up to 25 different countries. This way, Swab becomes a meeting point for diverse geographies and regions that present the most emerging proposals of their contexts.
3. Focus Mediterranean. Swab presents a special program that focuses on the southern and eastern Mediterranean region, looking for emerging proposals from galleries that, although coming from different origins, share a series of dynamics, imaginaries and practices that have to do with the nexus they all share, the proximity to the Mediterranean Sea.
4. Video Box | Entangled. Our video art program seeks to be a platform for emerging artists from geographic contexts whose scenes are not enough represented beyond their own borders. This year, the focus is on El Salvador with the presentation Entangled/Entretejidos, which explores the concept of identity and the motherland linked to migration.
5. Emerging LATAM is incorporated as a curated section within the fair’s emerging program by curator Santiago Gasquet, co-director of PIEDRAS (Buenos Aires), which will present the freshest proposals from the Latin American contemporary scene.
6. Swab Seed presents twelve independent and artist-run spaces whose common denominator is experimentation. For this edition, Fundació Vila Casas continues its sponsorship of four independent Catalan spaces.
7. Ephemeral 2022 presents a selection of installation works that aims to offer a curated look at Barcelona’s artistic production. Curated by Caterina Almirall and Margot Cuevas, this program focuses on pieces produced by artists in residence at the Fábricas de Creación de Barcelona.
8. My First Art Fair. In order to promote the insertion in the international circuit of galleries that have just started, Swab selects four exhibition projects with less than two years of life, which have not yet participated in any fair, and offers them free stands as a platform for visibility.
9. Swab on Paper. Another of the fair’s curated programs is On Paper, curated by Carolina Diez-Cascón. This edition, titled “Body without a name”, presents four proposals that reflect on the figure of the body, its connotations and its possible emancipation from history, gender or origin.
10. Swab Kids. Swab dedicates an area of the fair to the youngest art lovers, Swab Kids. In order for the little ones to enjoy the fair as much as the older ones, this year, Los Superpoderes del Arte (LSDA) and Posca, join forces to propose artistic workshops to stimulate the most creative side of children at the fair.
1. Erika Hock, Curtain (wave / vase & sock), 2020. L21 Gallery.
2. Ernesto Gutiérrez-Moya, The Garden, 2022. Emerson Dorsch.
3. Daniele Genadry, Deir El Kaala, 2020. Saleh Barakat Gallery.
4. Lucy Tomasino, Piel y Cicatriz, 2021. Video Box | Entretejidos.
5. Ileana Moreno, Garpha Spektra 2, 2022. Lolita Pank.
6. Laura Juanós, Sin título (Together or not), 2022. Halfhouse.
7. Natalia Domínguez, ST (Parachute), 2020.
8. Giuditta Branconi, Entusiasta senza riserve sempre tutta la vita, 2022. L.U.P.O Lorenzelli Projects.
9. Barbara Lüdde, Kissing Without Penetration, 2021. Laetitia Gorsy, She BAM!
10. Los Super Poderes del Arte.